Baton Rouge, La. – SOUTHPAC, a political action committee of the Louisiana Association of Business and Industry (LABI), today announced their first round of endorsements for the 2015 fall elections.
“Since its formation more than 25 years ago, SOUTHPAC has helped to elect state and local candidates who support policies for growth and economic development in Louisiana,” Steve Stumpf, chair of SOUTHPAC, said. “For this reason, we will support 14 representatives and five senators in 2015. This is a strong group of incumbents, and we encourage the broader business community to rally around these proven leaders so we can continue working with them in the future.”
SOUTHPAC covers the southeast portion of the state and extends from Lafourche Parish to north of Lake Pontchartrain into Washington Parish. It has the largest number of elective seats under its jurisdiction.
SOUTHPAC’s three regional area committees held meetings earlier this month to consider the candidates’ qualifications and make endorsement recommendations to the board.
Factors taken into consideration during the deliberation process include the lawmakers rating on LABI’s 2012-2015 cumulative scorecard as well as elements such as a legislator’s commitment to work with the business community, their communication style, work ethic, actions taken in committee and willingness to listen to concerns expressed by employers in their districts.
All of these factors contributed to the area committee’s endorsement of the following incumbent legislators:
- Rep. Neil Abramson (D-New Orleans, District 98)
- Sen. John Alario (R-Westwego, District 08)
- Sen. Bret Allain (R-Franklin, District 21)
- Sen. Conrad Appel (R-Metairie, District 09)
- Rep. Gregory Cromer (R-Slidell, District 90)
- Sen. Jack Donahue (R-Mandeville, District 11)
- Rep. Raymond Garafalo (R-Chalmette, District 103)
- Rep. Cameron Henry (R-Metairie, District 82)
- Rep. Paul Hollis (R-Mandeville, District 104)
- Rep. Sam Jones (D-Franklin, District 50)
- Rep. Christopher J. Leopold, (R-Belle Chase, District 105)
- Rep. Joseph P. Lopinto, III (R-Metairie, District 80)
- Rep. Nick Lorusso (R-New Orleans, District 94)
- Sen. Danny Martiny (R-Metairie, District 10)
- Rep. Kevin Pearson (R-Slidell, District 76)
- Rep. John Schroder, Sr. (R- Covington, District 77)
- Rep. Scott Simon (R-Abita Springs, District 74)
- Rep. Julie Stokes (R-Metairie, District 79)
- Rep. Kirk Talbot (R-River Ridge, District 78)
In addition to these legislative elections, SOUTHPAC has endorsed two BESE members in their bid for re-election. District 1 BESE member Jim Garvey and District 2 BESE member Kira Orange Jones have gained SOUTHPAC’s endorsement.
“We encourage the broader business community to support these legislators in their bids for re-election and to stay tuned for additional recommendations,“ said SOUTHPAC executive director Brian Landry. “This is a critical and dynamic election cycle. As the political landscape continues to develop in the weeks and months ahead, we will be issuing additional endorsements.”
SOUTHPAC is a non-partisan political action committee working to recruit and support candidates who support the free enterprise market with as little government interference as possible.